[WSBARP] manufactured homes, REET

Karen Gibbon kgibbon at gibbonlaw.com
Tue Aug 25 12:13:38 PDT 2015

I haven't done a title elimination in years, but I remember that they usually did not go smoothly.

Is the treasurer claiming that when the property was sold 20 years ago, the value of the manufactured home was not included in the price so no excise tax was paid on that value?  Or is the issue that real estate excise taxes were paid on the value of the manufactured home and the personal property tax rate is higher?

If title was eliminated as part of the closing, why would the manufactured home be listed separately?  When the title elimination application is recorded, isn't  the personal property tax account eliminated and the value of the manufactured home merged with the value of the real property into the real property tax account?

Also, it is my recollection that the county treasurer has to sign off on the title elimination application and that one copy of the REET goes to the treasurer.  So the treasurer should have been on notice. What about a statute of limitations?  Can the treasurer go back 20 years and force the parties to make this "correction"?

Karen L. Gibbon
Law Offices of Karen L. Gibbon, P.S.
3409 McDougall Avenue, Suite 202
Everett, WA 98201

Telephone: (425)212-3277 ext 1
Facsimile: (425)212-3280
Email: kgibbon at gibbonlaw.com<mailto:kgibbon at gibbonlaw.com>

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS E-MAIL IS PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL, AND IS INTENDED SOLELY FOR THE RECIPIENT(S) DESIGNATED ABOVE. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, YOU ARE NOTIFIED THAT ANY REVIEW, COPYING, PRINTING, DISCLOSURE, DISTRIBUTION, OR ANY OTHER USE, OF THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER BY RETURN E-MAIL AND DELETE THE COPY YOU RECEIVED.