[WSBARP] Trust Administration - Conflict

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Mon Nov 24 14:17:20 PST 2014

In the first instance I would advise either resigning or giving up on buying the property. The difficulty at this point is probably trust between siblings – now that he has revealed his intention, if he markets and lists the property but does not get an offer at a price they think is good, will they suspect him of discouraging other buyers so that he has a chance to pick it up? He may face accusations of breach of fiduciary duty even if he genuinely met his duties.

If the Trustee really wants to buy, then I think it can work only with the unanimous approval of the other beneficiaries, which essentially renders moot any fiduciary breach claim. They could document with a TEDRA, the other beneficiaries should have ample opportunity to consult independent counsel, and the TEDRA needs a clear mechanism to establish fair market value. That could be done either with a certified appraisal, or possibly by testing the market and receiving offers, and the Trustee also submitting an offer himself, and then the Trustee transmits all the offers to the other beneficiaries and lets them decide whether or not his offer should prevail. (That would take more detailed safeguards and it has some procedural complications, but in general I think that scenario could be made to work.) But bottom line, unanimity is the only realistic route if he is going to remain Trustee and also buy the property. Otherwise, I think he probably should resign.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC