[WSBARP] Excise tax and penalties for decedent - grant county

Richard Wills richardwills at washington-probate.com
Fri Nov 21 13:22:27 PST 2014

*I went round & round with the Grant Cnty Treasurer about this several
years ago.  I even appealed it to DOR, who agreed with me that no excise
tax was due on either the 1st or 2nd death.  The Grant Treasurer then
asked DOR to reconsider, & DOR reversed its ruling, meaning that my
client had to pay the REET on the 1st death or probate the estate of the
1st to die, which, like yours, was not worth doing.  My client (PR of
SS's estate) by this time was so frustrated that he just paid the tax,
conveyed the home, & closed the probate of the 2nd to die.  Yes, I put
together a mighty Declaration signed by the PR of the estate of the 2nd
to die**--- all CP, W's share went to H at 2nd death, etc --- Treasurer
said that to get the exemption, the Declaration had to be signed by the
SS, not by the PR of the SS's estate.  And since the SS had died, no
such Decl was possible.  Geez!  I even consulted with a prominent real
property litigator, who confirmed the validity of what I wanted to do
but said that the cost of going forward with DOR about it was not worth
pursuing it.
**
**No, I've done lots of PR's Deeds in many WA counties, & the only
county where I've had this problem is Grant.*