[WSBARP] Enforceability of Water Policy Statements in WA

Oscar Yang Esq. oscar.yang at esberrylaw.com
Mon Jun 2 12:32:01 PDT 2014

Hello Listmates:

A potential client (PC) has a well on her property.  A few of her
neighbors appear to have some related interests in their deeds. It's not
clear whether they have interests in the well itself or the use of the
well for water.  The PC just says that the interests are ambiguous and
that each neighbor has about 1/10 of that.  I hear that the
interests/agreements have evolved among neighbors over at least several
decades.

To my knowledge, the PC primarily, if not solely, maintains the water
distribution system.  Most neighbors pay fees for it, probably for either
using the distribution system or having the PC maintain the system (and
maybe also for letting them walk to the well across the PC's land).  One
neighbor ignores the fee, walks over the PC's land to the well, and uses
the well for water.  Issue 1) Water Policy:  The PC wanted to have a water
user agreement with him, but he would not sign it.  Now, the PC instead
wants to send water policy statements to every neighbor who receives the
water from the well.  To show the acceptance of the water policy by
conduct, what particular statements would you suggest to be included in
the policy document? Issue 2) Next Step:  If this water policy approach
does not work well, I would probably seek a declaratory judgment in court
if I found myself in her shoes.  A different approach that you recommend?

Thank you,
Oscar Yang, Esq.
Es Berry Law PC
2155 112th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

DISCLAIMER FROM ES BERRY LAW PC: This e-mail contains proprietary
information some of which may be legally privileged, confidential or
protected. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or
transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author
by replying to it and delete it. This email is for informational purposes
only and does not constitute legal advice. Unauthorized forwarding,
printing, copying, distribution, disclosure or use of such information is
strictly prohibited. Unless specifically and clearly expressed otherwise,
this email also should not be interpreted as a digital or electronic
signature that can be used to authenticate a contract or other legal
document.
===============================
- To contact the list administrator, send a message to:
webmaster at wsbarppt.com

the following in the body of the message: unsubscribe wsbarp - OR - send a
message to webmaster at wsbarppt.com asking that you be removed from the
wsbarp list.

Information provided on this list should not be considered legal advice.
As with all lists - let the reader beware! No warranties or
representations are made as to the accuracy of any information provided.
All opinions and comments in this message represent the views of the
author and do not necessarily have the endorsement of the Washington State
Bar Association nor its officers or agents.