[WSBARP] Two Suits or One?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Dec 4 15:40:45 PST 2014

Initiate one TEDRA action in the county of the probate. RCW 11.96A.050(5)<http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=11.96A.050>. Once the lawsuit is filed, a lis pendens recorded in both counties might be okay, but it's a tricky question as to whether the suit to restrain the PR from selling truly involves "an action affecting title to real property." RCW 4.28.320<http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=4.28.320>. Arguably, the case is about whether the PR has authority to sell--that is, authority to deliver title--but I haven't researched the scope of the lis pendens statute. Beware potential fee award for recording an invalid lis pendens. RCW 4.28.328<http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=4.28.328>.

But you don't need a suit in each county--Superior Court jurisdiction is statewide so any county can affect real estate in any other county. Case caption in the lis pendens will of course name the county of venue, even if recorded in a different county.

Restraining order might be a good option if lis pendens isn't available, though if the PSAs are already signed and enforceable, your client might be stuck--the PR would end up breaching the PSA, and the innocent third party Buyer will win on a specific performance action and get attorney fees against the Estate. Your client will be left with only a suit against the PR for breach of fiduciary duty, and I don't know what the measure of damages could be, except perhaps the loss of Estate money to pay the buyers' attorney fees...

I don't think RCW 11.04.250<http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=11.04.250> gets too far, because the heirs' vesting is subordinate to any court-appointed PR, and the buyer under a PSA is almost certainly a "person lawfully claiming under the personal representative" clause. But I could be all wet--this was typed on the fly while avoiding other work. :-)

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC