[WSBARP] Quieting title to 5" strip from 1897

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Aug 20 14:24:49 PDT 2014

I'd get a litigation guarantee from a title company and let them decide
who needs to be named as defendants. But I'd definitely do the "all other
unknown persons" process as well, under RCW 4.28.150
<http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=4.28.150> .

On reasonable diligence--My position on that generally is that the title
company's search to create the litigation guarantee is more effective as
due diligence than anything I could do. If their trail of heirs runs out
decades before, then it's just not practical to try to trace down all
possible branches of the family through multiple generations. But to
include them, I'd name as defendants "The unknown heirs of X and the
unknown heirs of Y," with X and Y (and maybe Z and some others, too) being
the last named people in the chain of inheritance that the title company
figures out.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen