[WSBARP] Quieting title to 5" strip from 1897

swhite8893 at aol.com swhite8893 at aol.com
Wed Aug 20 14:29:21 PDT 2014

Anne,
     I have seen this on a few occasions.
     On one, it was a defunct corporation from 60 years ago and we,
remarkably, found successors to about two thirds of the interest.
     In another, very similar to yours, we talked to anyone who might make
use of it to make sure there would be no competing claims, and got quit
claim deeds.
     In both cases, we then filed suit against the unknown heirs and got a
court decree quieting title. The client was then instructed to make sure
they paid the taxes on it. The likelihood of anyone coming forward, ever,
is minimal. The court order will likely satisfy a title company (the
property in my second example just sold, now several years later, and no
title issue). At the very worst, the decree gives color of title and so
after seven years, any potential issue is foreclosed.
     There are two additional thoughts. First, when you submit your
request for publication, you have to execute an affidavit showing due
diligence. So you do have to make some effort and be candid with the
court. Second, if your client sells within the seven years, and is giving
a warranty deed, as per usual, the five feet should be excluded from the
warranty. Mere disclosure is insufficient. A real estate agent will not
catch that.

Steve

Stephen Whitehouse
Whitehouse & Nichols, LLP