[WSBARP] California Dead Man's Statute?

Christopher Muñoz ckmunoz at pomeroy-wa.com
Sat Apr 26 15:52:14 PDT 2014

 . . . misfiled in my outbox since February . . .

Catherine, et. al. -- In a word, no; not since 1965.

Although the statute had been in the Cal. Code Civ. Proc. (§ 1880) since
the 1880s, and although diluted by various subsequent case law exceptions,

it persisted until 1965, when the California legislature adopted the
recommendation of the Cal. Law Revision Com. to repeal.

California's rule on the subject, such as it isn't, now more or less
follows the Fed. Rules Evid., in Cal. Evid. Code §§ 1860-61.

- Christopher Muñoz
Muñoz Law Office
Pomeroy WA  99347

>> Date sent:  Thu, 20 Feb 2014 09:26:00 -0800

> Is there someone out there who is licensed in California who can tell
> me if the dead man's statute exists in California?

> Catherine C. Clark

> Law Office of Catherine C. Clark PLLC

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3
D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
- To contact the list administrator, send a message to:
webmaster at wsbarppt.c=
om
- To unsubscribe, send a new message to removeme-wsbarp at lists.wsbarppt.com
-=
 OR - send a message to webmaster at wsbarppt.com asking that you be removed
fr=
om the wsbarp list.

Information provided on this list should not be considered legal advice.
As =
with all lists - let the reader beware! No warranties or representations
are=
 made as to the accuracy of any information provided. All opinions and
comme=
nts in this message represent the views of the author and do not
necessarily=
 have the endorsement of the Washington State Bar Association nor its
office=
rs or agents.