[WSBAPT] Trust Protectors

Christopher Neil chris.neil at neillaw.com
Tue Mar 5 11:15:21 PST 2024

Ann,

I both serve as a Trust Protector and have cases where my work is overseen by a Trust Protector.

I see them as helpful, particularly when (a) the Trustee is a non-professional or (b) the beneficiary has diminished capacity/minority.   The ability to have some genuine real-time oversight of the Trustee, without the expense of court, provides some assurances of fidelity by the Trustee.

From the perspective of a Trustee, the Trust Protector can support the Trustee’s tough calls and be a notice party should the parent of a minor beneficiary have a potential conflict of interest.

As Mark said: “It’s all in the drafting.”

Chris Neil | Director
253-475-8700 | f:253-473-5746 | 5306 Pacific Ave, Tacoma WA 98408

We receive lots of emails daily. Per office policy, expect a reply within three workdays. If your matter is an emergency or you’ve not heard back in 3 workdays, please call.
So that you know: This email address is not continuously monitored. So, if your matter is urgent, please phone my office. Also, this message is not encrypted. Therefore, it may not be secure or protected by the attorney-client privilege. This email and attachments may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately and delete this message from your information system. Further use, disclosure, or copying of information in this email is not authorized, and any such action should not be construed as a waiver of privilege or other confidentiality protections. Thank you.