[WSBAPT] Leaving Probate Open to Administer Funds v. Setting Up Trust

Jeff at bellanddavispllc.com Jeff at bellanddavispllc.com
Wed Apr 24 08:44:54 PDT 2024

Listmates:

Client wants to leave monies for care of her animal.  Normally I would set
up a trust for the funds with a trustee to administer it.  Client questions
why not just let the personal representative do it; just keep the probate
open until the fund is depleted.  In a different probate, that has been
going on for years, an attorney informed me, that at least in California,
its common to leave the probate open, for years, to administer assets.  My
practice has always been to try and close a probate within 5 months of first
publication of notice to creditors.  Some probates have stayed upon for a
few years, but that is because the heirs do not get along.   Have any of you
deliberately kept probates open simply to administer certain assets?

Jeff Davis

W. Jeff Davis

BELL & DAVIS PLLC

Attorneys at Law
P.O. Box 510

720 E. Washington Street, Suite 105
Sequim WA 98382
Phone: (360) 683.1129
Fax: (360) 683.1258
email:  <mailto:jeff at bellanddavispllc.com> jeff at bellanddavispllc.com
 <http://www.bellanddavispllc.com/> www.bellanddavispllc.com

confidential, and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended
recipient, any dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly
prohibited. If you think that you have received this e-mail message in
error, please e-mail the sender at  <mailto:info at bellanddavispllc.com>
info at bellanddavispllc.com  or call 360.683.1129.