[WSBAPT] Clients in the process of a divorce

Laura Latta laura at lauralatta.com
Tue Apr 9 14:10:28 PDT 2024

Listmates,

Not infrequently, I have potential clients reach out who are somewhere in
the process of obtaining a divorce. I always advise that a legal separation
or pending divorce is not sufficient to disinherit the
soon-to-be-ex-spouse. Some potential clients want to update documents after
the divorce is final. Others are worried about what might happen if they
pass away while the divorce is pending and want to update documents now.

For clients who want to update now, I'd be interested to know what
language you use to acknowledge the soon-to-be ex-spouse. Anyone willing to
share?

Also, other than ensuring that estate planning documents are consistent
with an existing prenup, postnup, separation agreement, and/or the eventual
divorce settlement, what other unique considerations do you raise for
clients *during* a divorce?

Thank you in advance for sharing your considerable collective experience.

Warmly,
Laura

*Laura LattaLaw Office of Laura Latta PLLC*

she/her

Phone (206) 841-2344

www.LauraLatta.com

4010 Lake Washington Blvd. NE Ste. 202

Kirkland, WA 98033

*NOTICE:  This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you have received it in error, please advise the sender by
replying to this email and immediately delete the message and any
attachments without copying it or disclosing its contents to others.*