[WSBAPT] statute of limitations questions

Mark Anderson marka at mbaesq.com
Tue Sep 5 11:48:53 PDT 2023

Although I think RCW 4.16.200 would likely apply here, I find it a bit confusing.  Assuming the right of action exists at the time of the decedent's death and survives the decedent's death, RCW 4.16.200 provides that the action may be commenced by the PR after the expiration of the "time" (3 years since accrual of the cause of action) and within one year from the decedent's death.

The reason I am a bit confused by this statute is its use of the word "and."  Does this mean that the PR must bring the action within one year of the decedent's death, regardless of when the "time" expires?  That seems pretty restrictive to me.

That said, here are my "off the top of my head" responses to your questions:

  *   Does the 3 year SOL for conversion, financial exploitation of the decedent, and breach of fiduciary duty start when the funds were taken w/decedent's presumed knowledge?  My answer would be yes.
  *   when the PR was appointed?  My answer would be no.
  *   when the PR discovered this?  My answer would be no unless, of course, there is a cause of action for fraud.
  *   Also, does the PR have a legal duty to use estate funds to pursue action against the bad actor heir?  My understanding is that a PR as a fiduciary duty to an Estate for the benefit of its beneficiaries.  As such, if there is a benefit to be gained by the Estate as a whole then my answer would be yes.  However, in this case, there would be a benefit to be gained only by the "non-bad actor" beneficiaries.  The PR will have to evaluate the net benefit to these beneficiaries based on several factors, not the least of which is the ability to ultimately collect against the bad actor heir.

Mark B. Anderson
ANDERSON LAW FIRM PLLC
821 Dock St  Ste 209  PMB 4-12
Tacoma, Washington 98402
+1 253-327-1750
+1 253-327-1751 (fax)
marka at mbaesq.com<mailto:marka at mbaesq.com>
www.mbaesq.com<http://www.mbaesq.com/>
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This transmission is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual named recipient. It may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, work product doctrine, or other confidentiality protection. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender via e-mail or by telephone at (253) 327-1750 that you have received the message in error, and then delete it. Thank you.