[WSBAPT] Class of contingent beneficiaries

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Fri Sep 1 15:08:37 PDT 2023

Thanks Amy. I must admit that after that research and further consideration, I stopped using statutory terms altogether. I now include a clear definition of either per stirpes or per capita at each generation, after asking the client (if relevant/warranted) to consider that if their own children or siblings were ALL dead, would they want grandchildren/nieces/nephews at that point to be treated equally (per capita) or to share the share 😉 their surviving parent would have gotten.

It’s definitely an “Aha! Whoa! . . . ” moment for many clients, especially ones with one child with 5 children and one child with 1 child. Or no descendants and only siblings with nieces and nephews, say.

I choose to avoid “representation” altogether, in both Idaho and Washington, personally, so that there is nothing to “interpret” and a court is interpreting the document only and not resorting to elaborate case law on “representation” if it gets to that point.

Just battle-weary experience from one of my early cases after moving back to the Idaho/Washington region.