[WSBAPT] Family section of will/trust

Heather de Vrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Mon Oct 23 09:29:46 PDT 2023

This war story reminded me of a recent one of my own, fortunately living client and able to quickly resolve.

Client of mine since the early 2000s who had always maintained no relatives except an aunt and cousin. Over the years, aunt died leaving only the cousin. One day she calls me up and says she wants to leave something to her sister. "SISTER" I say, how come you never told me about her. Turns out, it was a half sister, dad had had a relationship with a young woman in Europe at the end of WWII. She only found out about this sister as an adult (though well before she knew me) and didn't think she was relevant because of the "half" status and "out of wedlock" etc. Plus, they didn't have a relationship.

I do try to tease out information, sometimes asking probing questions like "you have four grandparents, are you sure none of them had any other children" and similar. Whenever I have a client who tells me they have no family, I remind them that everyone has family. It is important to list them.

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01DA0593.74F29FC0]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>
Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.