[WSBAPT] Executing Will Out of State

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Mon Oct 2 11:38:37 PDT 2023

Brent,

You should have no problem here, assuming the will is setup exactly as you would in Washington, consistent with its statutes, etc. Then it will be fine if executed “anywhere” and probated in Washington, i.e., if she is a Washington resident (or has Washington property subject to probate) when she dies.

I would be looking a touch closer, though, at residency if she spends half or more of the year in another state and could be subject to probate there instead.

Then I think you could be “belt and suspenders” and confirm that that other state’s statute says, as I assume it does, that a will is valid if executed consistently with the law of any of the testator’s . . .

. . . domicile at time of execution, or

. . . physical location at time of execution, or

. . . jurisdiction of probate (wherever that ends up being).

Your other option (but not really “necessary”) is to execute it with remote online notarization (or even without notarization using the unsworn statement form of the electronic will statute) with the notary sitting in your office in Washington.

That would give it all the hallmarks of a Washington will in the sense that the notary block will say State of Washington, County of King (or whatever), and will still have been executed “in Washington,” because the location of the notary is what “matters.” (The signer-testator can be on the top of Mount Kilimanjaro if they have a data signal and can tap the “sign” button on DocuSign or the like.)

I think you’re going to be fine, good sir, and good for you being so conscientious of the issue. Best, Josh

Joshua D. McKarcher
McKarcher Law PLLC
537 6th Street
Clarkston, WA 99403