[WSBAPT] Disclaimer where there is unfunded Trust

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Sun Nov 5 20:40:44 PST 2023

One disclaimer document can:

  1.  Disclaim from the wife to the estate, and
  2.  Disclaim from the estate to the revocable trust (although in your case the assets will already go there, so this second disclaimer is not necessary and should not be included), and
  3.  Disclaim from the revocable trust to the bypass trust.
The one disclaimer document needs to specifically state what is being done and is not being done, but it can all be done in one disclaimer document.
I express no opinion on whether surviving spouse is disclaiming a half or a whole.  Or whether more than one deed is needed.  Keep in mind that surviving spouse cannot disclaim what she owned before decedent died.  Disclaiming spouse can disclaim only what she inherited from decedent.
Phil Jones

Philip N. Jones
Duffy Kekel LLP
900 S.W. Fifth Ave. Suite 2500