[WSBAPT] What is the most cost effective way for 2 minors to get assets of small and insolvevent estate

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Fri Mar 31 00:40:05 PDT 2023

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

March 30, 2023

List serve,

I have a client whose adult son died about 3 months ago. He was
divorced and left behind 2 young children.  His debt exceeded $40K.

He had about 2K in a checking account that included his last paycheck,
an IRA with about $4k in it (no named beneficiary), and a $15K life
insurance policy that also did not name a beneficiary (this Dad really
did not planning...)

I initially thought Grandmother could explain the insolvency to
creditors and ask them to voluntarily discharge the debt of deceased
son as if a Petition for family support were filed, creditors wouldn’t
get anything anyway.  However, the grandparents don’t have custody.
They really just want to gather the assets and put them into a college
fund for the children.

It also occurred to me that as grandparents, they aren’t successors!!!
The statute doesn’t actually authorize them to execute a small estate
affidavit. So, this isn’t a means for them to access the funds for the
children (at least I assume not?)

I looked at the statute for Minor Conservatorships.  It seems that
under that statute, the paternal grandparents could get a Limited
Appointment as Minor Conservators for the purpose of securing the
funds from the bank, and the IRA and life insurance.  I assume that if
the grandparents identified the assets they are trying to secure in
the Petition for Appointment, this could satisfy creditors that they
wouldn’t get their debt paid, and they would voluntarily agree to
discharge the debt had by the deceased.

The children’s mother has not been handling any of the issues
pertaining to her Ex’s death.  If the funds (life insurance, IRA,
checking account) are put into a blocked account, does anyone think
the court would insist that bio mother be the conservator? It seems
there is so little money at stake, the bio mom would not want to go
through the hassle of establishing a conservatorship for this limited
purpose.

Has anyone tried this?   Would the Conservatorship seem like a way to
avoid probate?

I’m just wondering what the most cost-effective way would be for the
grandparents to get the assets for the children, to be then placed in
a blocked college account.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000