[WSBAPT] Will Self-Proving Affidavit Form

Wynnie Johnson wynnie at wynnielaw.com
Wed Mar 22 15:55:00 PDT 2023

Hi, Heather,

Funny you asked this question because I have the same situation right now and just researched this for myself.  Depending on what you’re drafting for the client, the language to insert is different for power of attorney’s and wills.  For the POA, it can be signed by another person, but that person has to be a notary or an authorized officer.  This is not the case for someone signing for another if it’s a Will.

Here's the language that I will be inserting into my documents that I came up with –  so feel free to use it, but you can come up with your own as well.  I tried to stick as closely as possible to the language in the statutes.

FOR WILL:  If Testator is unable to sign, then include provision:

“Pursuant to the authority of RCW 11.12.030, this document was signed on behalf of the decedent, in his presence, and by his direction by me, John Smith”.

FOR POA:
_________________________
Principal Signature
Signature of ______ was affixed by the NOTARY PUBLIC, XX, residing at XX, Washington, date of expiration _____.

I, XX, NOTARY PUBLIC for the State of Washington, do hereby state that the Principal, ________, made this acknowledgment by orally directing me to sign his name on his behalf.  This acknowledgment was obtained under the authority of RCW 64.08.100.

XX, NOTARY PUBLIC

Hope that helps,

Wynnie Johnson | Attorney
The Law Office of Wynnie Johnson, PLLC
T 425.369.4958 | www.wynnielaw.com<http://www.wynnielaw.com/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  Please treat the information in this electronic mail transmission as confidential.  This email and any attachments may be subject to the attorney-client privilege and/or may be privileged attorney work product or otherwise proprietary.  This information is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, further distribution, copying or taking of any action as a result of this information is strictly prohibited.  If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete and destroy the message.