[WSBAPT] Probate Property in Mexico Referral

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Wed Jun 28 17:23:48 PDT 2023

Hi Paul,

You will need to find local (bilingual) Mexican counsel who can assist you with this, most likely. Depending on where in Mexico the property is located, it is likely held by a Mexican bank in a trust ("fideicomiso") of which the decedent was likely the lifetime beneficiary. (If not in trust form, it may be held in "escritura," which is essentially what we in the USA would consider a regular warranty deed.)

The benefit of the trust form is that the decedent may already have named a successor beneficiary - his kids, say - and so if that is confirmed, "transfer" may be as simple as filling out lots of paperwork and paying fees. Most US citizens hold property in Mexico in the trust form.

But, regardless, I recommend having bilingual counsel local to the area where the property is located who is very familiar with the actual form of title and can guide and assist even with the "easy" version if that turns out to be what is at play.

All the best, Josh

Joshua D. McKarcher
McKarcher Law PLLC
537 6th Street