[WSBAPT] Separate v Community Property

Heather de Vrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Wed Jul 19 11:28:25 PDT 2023

Is there any good case law or more general guidance about how to value a community property lien on property titled only in one spouse (now deceased)? That is, how much of the current value should still be considered separate property. I remember a fairly recent case where this was relevant, but am not finding it quickly.

Spouse died after 44 year marriage, having lived the entirety of the marriage in home purchased 9 months before marriage. Improvements during marriage by spouse not on title. No Will. Surviving spouse aware that there is in issue with their name not being on title, but convinced they have an ownership interest in the property. Separate kids disagree.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D9BA34.20516050]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>
Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

Our office will be closed Fridays from July 14 through August 25th.

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.