[WSBAPT] Question About Guardianship

Mark Vohr mcv at ohanafc.com
Wed Jan 18 17:42:36 PST 2023

Dave -

            I am not aware of any such rules.  RPC 1.14 allows an attorney to do something but does not mandate it.  There are rules that require a guardian/conservator to immediately notify the court if the guardianship/conservatorship should be reduced or terminated.  See, for instance, RCW 11.130.325(6) and RCW 11.130.505(13).
            If we are dealing with an DPOA Agent, there may be an instance where the Agent should act, including resigning, if they are at risk of being accused of neglect in the event the principal is making choices that expose the principal to a substantial risk of harm.  In that case one might easily say that the Agent has a moral duty to do something to protect the principal, but not a statutory duty that I am aware of.  There is, of course, mandatory reporters, but that is something completely different.
            Perhaps others have an opinion on this, but that is my understanding.
Regards,

Mark
(he, him)

Mark C. Vohr, J.D. CPGC