[WSBAPT] How to Delegate in a POA

Nick Pleasants npleasants at ohswlaw.com
Wed Jan 18 11:30:38 PST 2023

What does the agent want their delegee to do? If the delegee is just running errands and then getting reimbursed, nothing written is required, although perhaps a mutual understanding between agent and delegee would be beneficial. Because the agent cannot delegate ALL of their authority to a delegee, the delegation is necessarily limited to specific tasks. For example, I’m not sure the IRS would accept a tax return for the principal signed by the delegee.
If agent wants the delegee to be able to sign checks on behalf of the principal, I would ask the bank what they require / if that is acceptable to them. I think whoever is being asked to take instruction from the delegee rather than the agent named on the POA will have a form or suggested language to use. In my experience this is a one-page letter of instruction (possibly notarized) from the agent to the financial institution to please accept instruction from the delegee.
Best,
Nick

Nicholas Pleasants | Shareholder

[OseranHahnAttyatLaw 8]

11225 SE 6th Street | Suite 100 | Bellevue, WA 98004
Main: (425) 455-3900 | Fax: (425) 455-9201 | E-mail: npleasants at ohswlaw.com<mailto:npleasants at ohswlaw.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This e-mail message contains information belonging to the law firm of Oseran Hahn, P.S., which may be privileged, confidential and/or protected from disclosure. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you think that you have received this message in error, please e-mail the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.