[WSBAPT] Question not related to probate- a Ch. 13 bankruptcy question

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Tue Feb 14 22:25:32 PST 2023

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

February  14, 2023

Listserve,

I have a question unrelated to probate.

This is a bankruptcy question.

I know that divorce property settlement agreements are NOT
dischargeable in Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
Based on my research, I understand PSA agreements in divorce cases ARE
dischargeable in Ch. 13.

However, I am confused as to whether there are SOME  circumstances
under which they can be discharged in Chapter 13.

I understand that an unsecured debt is non- dischargeable. In my case,
the parties’ settlement agreement reached in mediation stated that H
would refinance the home within 3-6 months to pay $165K to the wife
for her interest in community property. If he did not refinance, then
he was required to place the home on the market for sale at the 6
month point. Wife was to receive a judgment. CR2A and final Decree
said wife’s judgment would be paid from the proceeds of the sale of
home. At the six month point, 12/26/2022, a judgment was entered in
favor of wife. There was no deed of trust executed to secure the debt
owed to wife. On 1/5/2023, H ordered to place the home for sale on or
before 1/31/2023. The day before he was to do so, he filed Ch.13
bankruptcy petition.

There should have been equity of $277K in home. After execution of
CR2A in May 2022, real estate market began to drop. Now only $181K in
equity- according to Zillow and King Cty Assessment (and bankruptcy
schedule.)

Wife not given maintenance (10 year marriage)  as equity was done in
property distribution.  A couple weeks after CR2A entered, H traded
his 2020 truck for a 2022 truck, increasing debt on vehicle from $62K
to $82K.

During divorce proceeding, H told W he would rather burn the house
down than to give her a penny.  H will how keep the house, ALL
personal property, a small trucking biz he started on the side, modest
401k of $25K.  Although no one could foresee the housing decline
starting in June 2022,  we believe H took deliberate steps to increase
debt load, with advance plan to file Ch. 13.

Wife, a waitress earning $25K-$30K, will receive nothing if judgment
discharged.

Does wife have any  remedy at all?

 Is a deed required to secure a judgment? Does language that judgment
shall be paid from proceeds of sale create a secured interest?
Could either bankruptcy court or superior court entertain the question
of whether the judgment were intended as a form of family support?

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101