[WSBAPT] Notice of Lien from DCS

Sarah Duncan Sarah.Duncan at adamslawyers.com
Thu Feb 9 13:48:15 PST 2023

Hi, folks.  I represent the PR of an estate.    We recently received a Notice of Lien from WA State Division of Child Support (DCS) regarding unpaid child support owed by one of the beneficiaries of the estate.    The beneficiary's share of the estate well exceeds the amount of the child support amount owed.    I just don't know what obligations the estate has to send payment directly to DCS to satisfy the judgment, or whether we need to get consent or approval from the beneficiary himself first.    To make things more complicated, the beneficiary is currently in prison with several felony convictions, and it has been very difficult to communicate with him.

Any experience or helpful tips from any of you would be greatly appreciated.

This is a first for me.

Thanks,
Sarah E. Duncan
ADAMS & DUNCAN, INC., P.S.