[WSBAPT] Creditor Claim Timing

Amy Goertz amyjgoertz at icloud.com
Tue Feb 7 13:12:19 PST 2023

I agree with your assessment of the timeliness.

They had 30 days from January 7 to present the claim, which is February 6.
The statute provides that the claim is deemed presented upon the latest of:

1. DELIVERY by postmark on the claim OR service on PR or counsel; AND
2. FILING with the court.

They were timely with delivery by the postmark of January 31, but they must also file within the timeframe, so if they did not get it filed yesterday then they are not timely.

I had a case a few years ago just like this, where the creditor mailed the claim ten days prior to the statute but the clerk’s office for whatever reason did not receive it or process it in a timely way and they were out of luck.

I typically send the creditor a copy of RCW 11.40.070(3) which specifically states that a claim must be presented within the time limits set in RCW 11.40.051 and explain that although the statute allows a Personal Representative to waive certain defects in the manner of presentation, the PR may not waive the requirement of timeliness..

Amy

Amy J. Goertz, J.D.
Goertz & Lambrecht PLLC
amyjgoertz at icloud.com <mailto:amyjgoertz at icloud.com>