[WSBAPT] Decedent used two names

John Creahan john at cairn-law.com
Thu Feb 2 13:11:07 PST 2023

Hi,
I have a situation I haven't seen before.
I have a new client who will be personal representative of her mother's estate.
Mom used two names - both the name she was born with ("Sally Smith") and her married name ("Sally Smith-Jones").
Apparently she has bank accounts in both names.
I am concerned that banks might not recognize the personal representative's authority if we open the estate in only one name.
Does anybody have any experience with opening an estate using an also known as (Sally Smith a/k/a Sally Smith-Jones).
FWIW, both names are on the death certificate.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John

John Creahan