[WSBAPT] Ex Parte in King County

Brent Williams-Ruth brent at williams-ruthlaw.com
Tue Dec 26 10:23:41 PST 2023

Greetings List members who practice in King County -

I just discovered that there is NO MORE option for a drop-in probate
opening. The only way you get in front of a commissioner is through Ex
Parte Via the Clerk OR with a scheduled hearing.

Prior to COVID, I would just drop into the Courthouse to open probates,
walk out with a signed order and Letters Testamentary. No more.

ALSO - the cut-off deadline for expedited is 3:30 p.m.  Also to know about
the expedited offerings, that is just the promise from the Clerk's office
that they will take it to a Commissioner/Judge but no guarantee that it
will actually be seen that day or the next.  Current record for an
"expedited" case was five court days before the letters and signed order
showed up in my inbox.

Considering that opening a probate in King County, with expedited and
getting two letters is now more than $300 - I am curious if Pierce County
allows for drop-in ex parte openings. I am more than happy to take my money
to another county.

*Brent Williams-Ruth* (pronouns: he/him)
*Attorney-At-Law*

*Law Offices of Brent Williams-Ruth, **a division of BWR Consulting, PLLC*

*Physical Address: 500 S 336th Street, Suite 214; Federal Way, WA 98003*

***EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY** All mail sent through the USPS should be sent to
the following address: **PO BOX 3319; Federal Way, WA 98063 *

Office/Scheduling Phone: (253) 285-7751

Direct: (253) 285-7453

e-mail <Brent at Williams-RuthLaw.com> / website
<http://www.williams-ruthlaw.com/> / facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/bwrlaw> /