[WSBAPT] Transfer of Residence to Child

jbdolan at jbdolan.com jbdolan at jbdolan.com
Wed Dec 6 15:28:28 PST 2023

I have a Medicaid matter involving the potential transfer of mom's home to
her daughter - either based on the 2 year adult child in-home caregiver rule
or based on the transfer to a disabled child rule.  Over the years, I have
had occasion to do this only a few times, and in those cases the transferred
residence was paid for in full.  In this pending situation, there is a
mortgage.

I believe transferring the home to the adult in home care giver daughter or
adult disabled daughter will be acceptable to DSHS for Medicaid purposes.  I
also believe that the mortgage company will not be able to require the
daughter to qualify for refinancing pursuant to Garn - St. Germain, but I am
throwing this out to the hive for feedback.  Am I correct in my belief that
the daughter can simply assume the mortgage?

Thank you in advance for your wisdom.

Jim Dolan

Jones Butler Dolan, PS

P.O. Box 458