[WSBAPT] Getting an EIN

Sarah Cuellar attorney at sarahcuellar.com
Fri Aug 25 08:12:15 PDT 2023

Instructions for the SS-4 (paper form to get an EIN) show that you may be
able to apply via phone if you have your client pre-sign the
form authorizing you as the third party designee. From this webpage:

Apply by telephone—option available to international applicants only.

If you have NO legal residence, principal place of business, or principal
office or agency in the U.S. or U.S. possessions, you may call 267-941-1099
(not a toll-free number), 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (Eastern time), Monday
through Friday, to obtain an EIN.

The person making the call must be authorized to receive the EIN and answer
questions concerning Form SS-4. Complete the Third Party Designee section
only if you want to authorize the named individual to receive the entity’s
EIN and answer questions about the completion of Form SS-4. The designee’s
authority terminates at the time the EIN is assigned and released to the
designee. You must complete the signature area for the authorization to be
valid.
<https://www.irs.gov/instructions/iss4>Note.

It will be helpful to complete Form SS-4 before contacting the IRS. An IRS
representative will use the information from Form SS-4 to establish your
account and assign you an EIN. Write the number you're given on the upper
right corner of the form and sign and date it. Keep this copy for your
records.

If requested by an IRS representative, mail or fax the signed Form SS-4
(including any third-party designee authorization) within 24 hours to the
IRS address provided by the IRS representative.

[image: This is an Image: caution.gif]

The IRS no longer issues EINs by telephone for domestic taxpayers. Only
international applicants can receive an EIN by telephone.