[WSBAPT] WSBAPT Re: What is fair billing

Carmen Rowe carmen at gryphonlawgroup.com
Mon Aug 7 16:19:37 PDT 2023

Again responding off digest so am not including the original question - but
long & short was question on how to bill when doing non-attorney work

I believe (?) there is a WSBA ethics opinion on this, and/or caselaw,
and/or a RPC footnote - but confident there is something formal out there
saying you can only bill commensurate with the level of work, under the
"reasonable fees" rule. So if you do paralegal work, you bill paralegal
rate. Of course, there can be a lot of overlap in such work so it will come
down to attorney discretion (and how they feel about what they are billing
the client). But I'd ised a stepped system - both to comply with ethics and
because that is what is fair to the client. I instituted that for myself,
though even at the firms with staff I have worked at, if I (or anyone) did
"lower level" work, that's how it was billed.

I think the ethical restrictions go so far as to say purely administrative
tasks should be considered part of doing business, and thus worked into the
attorney's hourly rate, not billed separately. I forget as it's been a
while since I've seen that discussion, but I believe there is something out
there on this.

(And as a side-note, discussing hourly rate - perhaps even a detailed
discussion on what tasks are billed other than as regulated by RPCs - is
considered a violation of the Sherman Act. I really super disagree with
that in this type of discussion context given the tremendous range of
attorney firms/experience/field of practice and how that all impacts rates
... but there is some formal opinion out there somewhere that says so, so
I'd refrain from being specific as to dollars)

Carmen Rowe

Phone: (360) 669-3576 (direct cell)
Email:  Carmen at GryphonLawGroup.com

*Olympia/Lacey and primary mailing office:*
1415 College Street SE, Lacey, WA 98503

*Seattle office: We are currently moving our Seattle location - notice of
new address coming soon!*

*NOTICE REGARDING OPERATIONS AND COVID-19:* We see our community as working
together to address COVID and its impact on our lives, health, and
business. The nature of our practice lends itself well to virtual operation
and we offer a range of flexible solutions to best work with your needs and
preferences. We are here to support you.

*Privileged and confidential: *This message is confidential. If you receive
this message in error, please let us know, and please delete and disregard
any information it contains. We thank you for your respect in not sharing
this email with anyone.