[WSBAPT] California Franchise Tax Board Creditor's Claim

susan at pepetersonlaw.com susan at pepetersonlaw.com
Tue Apr 11 12:57:18 PDT 2023

Good afternoon listmates,

I represent the PR of an estate where the decedent, through counsel, was in
the process of disputing a claim by the IRS for back taxes when she passed
away unexpectedly.  Because it's the IRS, the dispute is STILL going on and
it's not clear to me when or how it will be resolved, though the tax
attorney apparently feels relatively confident that he will prevail.  We did
publish a probate notice to creditors and the 4 months since the first date
of publication has long since passed.  Today I received a Request for
Special Notice and a Creditor's Claim from the California Franchise Tax
Board(FTB)  for just over $10k for state income tax for the same years that
are at issue with the IRS.  The FTB's notice is dated March 30 but, thus
far, the claim has not been filed with the court.  I had no idea that there
was an additional debt for state income taxes, and I haven't connected with
my client yet to find out if the PR was aware.  I do not believe that the
FTB was given actual notice.  I have been told that the creditor's claim
period just won't cut the mustard with the IRS, but what about a state
taxing agency?  Has anyone ever dealt with this?  I'd appreciate thoughts.

Susan E. Spuller

Attorney at Law

Peterson Spuller, PLLC

345 Knechtel Way NE, Suite 102

Bainbridge Island, WA 98110

206.855.9293

Fax: 206.678.0105

The information contained in this email is confidential and may also be
attorney-client privileged.  The information is intended only for the use of
the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the
intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it
to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please immediately
notify me by replying to this email and delete the original.  Thank you.