[WSBAPT] Personal Rep and Income Taxes

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Tue Sep 13 16:25:55 PDT 2022

We all need to work hand-in-glove with the family's tax return preparer for the entire duration of the probate or of the trust administration.  If the decedent's preparer will be continuing to work with the PR/trustee, that is ideal, and the preparer usually knows the status of prior returns and whether any of the prior returns have been audited or other problems developed.  I like to call the preparer (with the client's permission) at the outset of the probate and establish that I will be preparing the federal and state estate tax returns, and the preparer will prepare the final 1040 and all of the 1041s for the duration of the probate.  But we all need to have a basic understanding of the fiduciary income tax, because so many decisions made during the probate or trust administration impact the fiduciary income tax and vice versa.  We cannot fully separate the tax issues from the estate/trust issues.  If the PR or trustee closes the probate or concludes the trust administration and distributes the assets without making sure that all of the income taxes (both 1040 and 1041) have been paid, the PR/trustee will incur fiduciary liability (personal liability) for the tax, and the beneficiaries will incur transferee liability.  And there are things we might do during the estate/trust administration that could trigger huge income tax liabilities.  And those liabilities are often avoidable.
If you have the materials from the November 2017 Seattle Estate Planning Council annual seminar, those materials include a lengthy chapter on the fiduciary income tax, with lots of references to Washington law.
Phil Jones

Philip N. Jones
Duffy Kekel LLP
900 S.W. Fifth Ave. Suite 2500