[WSBAPT] Personal Rep and Income Taxes

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 13 15:23:35 PDT 2022

"Hi, thank you using me as your attorney to help guide you through the probate process.  But I am an attorney and not an accountant, bookkeeper, or certified public accountant.  You will need to hire an accountant to assist you in finalizing the decedent's taxes.  Let me know what you guys come up with."    I also put this in writing in my standard PR duties letter to the PR right after probate is opened: "Additionally, you are responsible for filing Decedent's final individual income tax return for the year of the date of death.  You may be asked to provide the IRS with Form 56 (Notice Concerning Fiduciary Relationship) to establish that you are acting as the Decedent's personal representative.  If you would like, I will work with you and your accountant on the preparation of this return."

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D8C784.05E65020]

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This e-mail message is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain. E-mail messages to clients of Paul A. Neumiller presumptively contain information that is confidential and legally privileged; e-mail messages to non-clients are normally confidential and may also be legally privileged. Please do not read, copy, forward or store this message unless you are the intended recipient of it. If you have received this message in error, please forward it back to the sender and delete it completely from your computer system.

E-mail communication on the Internet may NOT be secure. There is a risk that this confidential communication may be intercepted illegally. There may also be a risk of waiving attorney-client and/or work-product privileges that may attach to this communication. DO NOT forward this message to a third party. If you have any questions regarding this notice, please contact the sender.