[WSBAPT] Effect of Substitution of Counsel on Notice to Creditors

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Oct 26 12:11:11 PDT 2022

I have had this issue a couple of times as withdrawing counsel, and I generally have decided that, since my name and address was on the Notice to Creditors that was published, I would undertake to relay any creditor claims to the PR and/or new counsel. Since in my cases my withdrawal happened within a month or so of expiration of the 4-month period for filing, it seemed easier to just let the process continue as-is and make it easy on everybody.

I think your solution of sending the withdrawal and substitution, together with the Notice, is a good workaround, but the statutes just don't address this problem. Even if you do send the withdrawal and substitution, the creditor might still be justified in serving the claim on the previous attorney since that's the name/address in the actual notice. (If I were representing a creditor I would serve on both attorneys to be safe.)

I would note that the attorney's withdrawal only becomes a potential problem for the Estate if a creditor claim is timely filed and is served only on the withdrawn attorney. So, checking the court docket after the deadline has passed should alert the PR to any claim where this might have occurred, and then it's a judgment call for the PR on whether to reject on the basis of lack of proper mailing, or just accept that the creditor did comply with the statutes and treat the claim was properly filed and served.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.