[WSBAPT] Effect of Substitution of Counsel on Notice to Creditors

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Wed Oct 26 12:10:44 PDT 2022

I realize the relevant statute says to send "the" notice, as in the "one" that you published, but I have to believe a court would consider it substantial compliance to send a new version of the "same" notice (with same magic language and same date of first publication) but with your information at bottom -- and then you'd file that as an exhibit to your certificate of service for known creditors (which I file after sending such notices).

If that is ruled invalid, then that would be a court somewhere placing a crazy amount of weight on the word "the" for no reason I can think would matter to an actual creditor who is getting actual notice and not publication notice. How could they be prejudiced?

That's my two cents. And now I'm curious to see if anyone sees a reason this is a bad approach.

Best, Josh

Joshua D. McKarcher
McKarcher Law PLLC
537 6th Street