[WSBAPT] Probate contested by step-child claiming to be adopted

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Mon Oct 3 19:17:52 PDT 2022

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

October 3, 2022

I agree with Fern that the burden should be put on the alleged adoptee
to provide proof of the alleged adoption.
When an adoption occurs, a new amended birth certificate is issued as
part of the adoption process. So, ask step-child to produce their
birth certificate. Even though adoptions are sealed, a copy of a birth
certificate can be easily secured.

Adoptions are governed by RCW 26.33 and must take place in superior court.

Very probably, what the military parent executed was a Family Care
Plan. These plans are required of all service persons who have
dependents unless they are married to the other natural or adoptive
parent and that other parent is not in the military. These are not
legally enforceable documents and they are not adoptions. It’s just a
plan for how dependents will be provided for in the event of deployment.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101
206-224-8288
www.seattle-silvalaw.com

Quoting Fern Herbert <fern at zenith-lawgroup.com>:

> [...]
> this transmission is in violation of the Electronic Communications
> Privacy Act of 1986 (18 U.S.*C. § 2700 *et seq.) as well as Domestic
> and International Laws and Treaties. If you have received the
> communication in error, please immediately notify  Zenith Law
> Group by telephone call to (206) 686-7373.*
>

> -------------------------
>      FROM: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com
> <wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com> on behalf of
> susan at pepetersonlaw.com <susan at pepetersonlaw.com>
> SENT: Monday, October 3, 2022 4:50 PM
> TO: wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>
> SUBJECT: [WSBAPT] Probate contested by step-child claiming to be
> adopted
>

>        HC is the biological child of the decedent.  Many years ago
> (decades), client’s dad was married to a woman who had two minor
> children (not his).  The decedent was in the military and completed
> some sort of paperwork to be able to bring the step-kids when he was
> moved.  Bear in mind, that is the description of the paperwork I’m
> getting from client, I have no idea what they’re describing.  Dad
> divorced their mother a long time ago but did apparently still have
> contact with the step-children.  Dad died intestate and now the
> former step-children are claiming that the “paperwork” he completed
> to be able to take them with him was actually a legal adoption.
> Client and her mother (the dad’s former partner, she was with him
> after the mom of step kids) dispute this.  It is my impression that
> the claim of adoption did not come up until the dad was in bad
> shape.  Does anyone with more knowledge than I have about all things
> military and/or adoption have any suggestions?  Current plan is to
> proceed as though they are ex step-children and petition for the
> biological child to be appointed PR with non-intervention powers.  I
> do plan to give notice to the step kids and when they object, as I
> assume they will, ask them to prove their claim of legal adoption.
>  Anyone have a better idea?
>

>        Susan E. Spuller
>
>        Attorney at Law
>

>        PLEASE NOTE THE NEW OFFICE ADDRESS
>

>        Peterson Spuller, PLLC
>
>        345 Knechtel Way NE, Suite 102
>
>        Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
>
>        206.855.9293
>
>        Fax: 206.678.0105
>

>        /The information contained in this email is confidential and
> may also be attorney-client privileged.  The information is intended
> only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is
> addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee
> or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient,
> you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or
> copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have
> received this email in error, please immediately notify me by
> replying to this email and delete the original.  Thank you./

  andrekita