[WSBAPT] Transfer of Book Rights?

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Thu Nov 17 16:47:33 PST 2022

I can’t answer all of your questions, but I have a few comments.
Look at a copy of the book to see who holds the copyright.  It is probably the two authors.  The copyright (or your decedent’s half interest in it) is what is most important to transfer.
If you have a copy of the book, the name of the publisher should be on it.
Most (not all) publishing contracts provide that the authors assign the copyright to the publisher for as long as the publisher keeps the book in print.  And if the publisher lets the book go out of print (say, for six months or more), the copyright reverts to the authors.
You have some detective work to do.
At a minimum, you should assign the decedent's interest in the qcopyright and any interest the decedent had in any publishing agreement involving the book.
Phil Jones