[WSBAPT] Transfer right before death

Candace Wilkerson cwilkerson at wongfleming.com
Wed Mar 23 07:53:03 PDT 2022

This is a really interesting topic, and I’ve had to counsel clients *not* to do this.  I also used fraudulent transfer as one of my causes of action in a civil case several years ago.  It succeeded.  WA does not take such transfers lightly.

Just for the purpose of CYA; what is the best way to cover ourselves if our clients come to us with a plan such as Brent described?  If it happens to me, I add to my case notes that I advised the client not to do this, and I believe I also follow up with at least one email to the client with that recommendation.  Is that enough, or should I do more to cover myself?

Thanks,
Candace Wilkerson

*Candace is available to respond to emails and phone calls between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.  If you have an urgent matter outside that time period, please call our office at the number below.

[cid:image002.png at 01D83EA4.2ACBFD40]
Top Ranked Law Firm for 2015 by Fortune Magazine and American Lawyer Media
Candace Wilkerson  | Senior Associate  |  Wong Fleming

10675 Willows Road NE, Suite 250  |  Redmond, WA 98052
Phone: 425.869.4040  |  Fax: 425.869.4050
cwilkerson at wongfleming.com<mailto:cwilkerson at wongfleming.com>

Please leave us a review on Google by clicking here<https://www.google.com/search?q=google+wong+fleming&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS925US925&oq=google+wong+fleming&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.2183j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8>.
Please leave us a review on Yelp by clicking here.<https://www.yelp.com/biz/wong-fleming-redmond>

[cid:image004.png at 01D83EA4.2ACBFD40]
[cid:image005.jpg at 01D83EA4.2ACBFD40]
Before proceeding, please note: If you are not a current client of Wong Fleming, please do not include any information in this e-mail that you or someone else considers to be of a confidential or secret nature. Wong Fleming has no duty to keep confidential any of the information you provide. Neither the transmission nor receipt of your information is considered a request for legal advice, securing legal services or retaining a lawyer. An attorney-client relationship with Wong Fleming or any lawyer at Wong Fleming is not established until and unless Wong Fleming agrees to such a relationship as reflected in a separate writing.

IRS Circular 230 disclosure: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (a) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (b) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.
THIS ELECTRONIC MAIL TRANSMISSION AND ANY ATTACHMENTS MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, OR PROPRIETARY INFORMATION INTENDED ONLY FOR THE PERSON(S) NAMED. IF THE READER OF THIS MESSAGE IS NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OR THE AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE OF THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISTRIBUTION, COPYING, OR DISCLOSURE OF THIS COMMUNICATION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED