[WSBAPT] Legitimizing Unsigned Copies

David Faber david at faberfeinson.com
Mon Mar 14 12:25:31 PDT 2022

C's (F)ather died leaving assets ostensibly in a trust with a pourover Will
but the copies of those documents in C's possession are unsigned copies (or
are copies that have "/s/" written on the line for F's signature but with
signatures from the Notary (Trust) and witnesses (Will)). The copies also
state that the originals are with the attorney's office, but when C finally
tracked down the attorney they said that they did not keep the originals,
instead sending the originals home with F.

Now we are in a situation where we need to legitimize the photocopies. I
have done this with photocopies that showed a decedent's photocopied
signature but never done so with a copy that had "/s/" on a decedent's
signature line. We will need to probate the estate to transfer some assets
to the Trust to complete the administration, and I do not want to proceed
without first getting a sense from colleagues whether they've seen a
Superior Court Judge find "/s/" as sufficient substitute on an otherwise
witnessed document when trying to legitimate a photocopy under 11.20.070?

Partly, all we can do is try our best by alleging facts to the judge, but I
would prefer to go into this with some idea whether this has been
successful in the past. Thank you!

Best,
David J. Faber
Faber Feinson PLLC
800 Polk Street, Suite B
Port Townsend, WA 98368
(360) 379-4110

*** NOTICE: ATTORNEY CLIENT COMMUNICATION - PRIVILEGED & CONFIDENTIAL.
This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that
you have received this communication in error, please do not print,
copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also,
please indicate to the sender that you have received this communication in
error, and destroy the copy you received.***