[WSBAPT] Holdover guests/squatters

Kaitlyn Jackson kaitlyn at dimensionlaw.com
Tue Jun 21 16:58:54 PDT 2022

I see this all the time. You are correct on all points. Proposed solution
is to amend RCW 59.12.030 as follows:

*Except as limited under RCW 59.18.650
<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=59.18.650> relating to
tenancies under chapter 59.18
<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=59.18> RCW, a tenant of real
property for a term less than life is liable for unlawful detainer either:*
*(6) A person who, without the permission of the owner or after revocation
of such permission by the owner or agent of the owner and without having
color of title thereto, enters upon land of another and who fails or
refuses to remove therefrom after three days' notice, in writing and served
upon him or her in the manner provided in RCW 59.12.040
<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=59.12.040>. Such person may
also be subject to the criminal provisions of chapter 9A.52
<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.52> RCW; ...*

That's how I would clarify that the estate can terminate this person's
right to occupy the Property (swiftly).

Kaitlyn

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 4:23 PM Diane J. Kiepe <DJKiepe at depdslaw.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>

> In the last 2 years I am seeing more and more “guests” or “invitees” (so
> not Tenant and no Landlord Tenant Law Applicable) of a person remain in a
> home after the death of the person who owns the home.  These cases are
> costing the estate exorbitant amounts of money and the estate is almost
> always the loser in these matters.  If I have seen these cases, I suspect
> you all have too.  I am planning to try to do something about this problem
> that may seem insignificant (but I don’t think is) in the moment but which
> I believe will only get worse.  I have volunteered to begin the letter
> writing, proposed solution and follow up for this matter.  It would be very
> helpful if any of you think there needs to be a change, to provide case
> examples (of course eliminating names to protect the innocent and not so
> innocent) as well as any thoughts you might suggest to cure the problem.
> On the one hand the law says the PR has right to  possession of all estate
> assets, on the other  hand judges are afraid to “disrupt” privacy whether
> the person belongs there or not.  This is completely out of my wheelhouse
> but I can’t just sit by any longer without feeling that I gave some effort
> to the cause.
>

> Thank you in advance for you consideration and any contributions.  I am at
> the stage where I believe absurdity rules the legal system (who knows,
> maybe I’m a later comer to that 😉).
>

> *Diane J. Kiepe*
>

> Diane J. Kiepe
>
> Douglas Eden
>
> 717 W. Sprague Ave.
>
> Suite 1500
>
> Spokane, WA  99201
>
> djkiepe at depdslaw.com
>
> 509-455-5300

> others.***

Thank you,

Kaitlyn R. Jackson, Senior Associate Attorney

Dimension Law Group, PLLC

*Office:*  206-973-3500│*Fax:*  206-577-5090

*Email: **kaitlyn**@dimensionlaw.com <http://dimensionlaw.com/>*

*www.dimensionlaw.com <http://www.dimensionlaw.com/>*

130 Andover Park East, Suite 300, Tukwila, WA 98188

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:  This email (including any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may
contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are notified that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this email is prohibited. If you have received
this email in error, please immediately notify us by email, facsimile, or
telephone; return the email to us at the email address below; and destroy
all paper and electronic copies.

--
PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:  This e-mail (including any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may
contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are notified that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. Attempts to intercept
this message are in violation of 18 USC 2511(1) of the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, which subjects the interceptor to fines,
imprisonment and/or civil damages. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately notify us by e-mail, facsimile, or telephone;
return the e-mail to us at the e-mail address below; and destroy all paper
and electronic copies. Any settlement offer contained herein is made
pursuant to Washington ER 408, and without admitting fault or liability on
the part of this firm’s client(s) or its agents.  IRS CIRCULAR 230
DISCLAIMER:  To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, I
inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication
(including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and
cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the
Internal Revenue Code; or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any transaction or tax-related matter addressed herein.