[WSBAPT] Holdover guests/squatters

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Tue Jun 21 16:20:26 PDT 2022

Hello!

In the last 2 years I am seeing more and more “guests” or “invitees” (so not Tenant and no Landlord Tenant Law Applicable) of a person remain in a home after the death of the person who owns the home.  These cases are costing the estate exorbitant amounts of money and the estate is almost always the loser in these matters.  If I have seen these cases, I suspect you all have too.  I am planning to try to do something about this problem that may seem insignificant (but I don’t think is) in the moment but which I believe will only get worse.  I have volunteered to begin the letter writing, proposed solution and follow up for this matter.  It would be very helpful if any of you think there needs to be a change, to provide case examples (of course eliminating names to protect the innocent and not so innocent) as well as any thoughts you might suggest to cure the problem.  On the one hand the law says the PR has right to  possession of all estate assets, on the other  hand judges are afraid to “disrupt” privacy whether the person belongs there or not.  This is completely out of my wheelhouse but I can’t just sit by any longer without feeling that I gave some effort to the cause.

Thank you in advance for you consideration and any contributions.  I am at the stage where I believe absurdity rules the legal system (who knows, maybe I’m a later comer to that 😉).

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden
717 W. Sprague Ave.