[WSBAPT] Omitted Spouse & Homestead Award

Sarah McCarthy sarah at kawlawyers.com
Fri Jun 17 13:10:11 PDT 2022

RCW 11.12.095 <http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.12.095>
Omitted spouse or omitted domestic partner.
(1) If a will fails to name or provide for a spouse or domestic partner of
the decedent whom the decedent marries or enters into a domestic
partnership after the will's execution and who survives the decedent,
referred to in this section as an "omitted spouse" or "omitted domestic
partner," the spouse or domestic partner must receive a portion of the
decedent's estate as provided in subsection (3) of this section, unless it
appears either from the will or from other clear and convincing evidence
that the failure was intentional.
(2) In determining whether an omitted spouse or omitted domestic partner
has been named or provided for, the following rules apply:
(a) A spouse or domestic partner identified in a will by name is considered
named whether identified as a spouse or domestic partner or in any other
manner.
(b) A reference in a will to the decedent's future spouse or spouses or
future domestic partner or partners, or words of similar import,
constitutes a naming of a spouse or domestic partner whom the decedent
later marries or with whom the decedent enters into a domestic partnership.
A reference to another class such as the decedent's heirs or family does
not constitute a naming of a spouse or domestic partner who falls within
the class.
(c) A nominal interest in an estate does not constitute a provision for a
spouse or domestic partner receiving the interest.
(3) The omitted spouse or omitted domestic partner must receive an amount
equal in value to that which the spouse or domestic partner would have
received under RCW 11.04.015
<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.04.015> if the decedent had
died intestate, unless the court determines on the basis of clear and
convincing evidence that a smaller share, including no share at all, is
more in keeping with the decedent's intent. In making the determination the
court may consider, among other things, the spouse's or domestic partner's
property interests under applicable community property or quasi-community
property laws, the various elements of the decedent's dispositive scheme,
and a marriage settlement or settlement in a domestic partnership or other
provision and provisions for the omitted spouse or omitted domestic partner
outside the decedent's will.
(4) In satisfying a share provided by this section, the bequests made by
the will abate as provided in chapter 11.10
<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.10> RCW.
[ 2008 c 6 § 911
<http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2007-08/Pdf/Bills/Session%20Laws/House/3104-S2.SL.pdf?cite=2008%20c%206%20%C2%A7%20911>
; 1994 c 221 § 10
<http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/1993-94/Pdf/Bills/Session%20Laws/House/2270-S.SL.pdf?cite=1994%20c%20221%20%C2%A7%2010>
.]

*Sarah O’Farrell McCarthy*

*(Pronouns: she / her)*Attorney | Kelly, Arndt & Walker, Attorneys at Law,
PLLP
P.O. Box 290 | 6443 Harding Avenue | Clinton, WA  98236

(Located on Whidbey Island, Island County, Washington)
Phone: (360) 341-1515 | Fax: (360) 341-3272
sarah at kawlawyers.com | www.kawlawyers.com

This electronic message transmission contains information from the law firm
of Kelly, Arndt & Walker, PLLP which may be confidential or privileged.
This information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity
named above,  If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
further review, disclosure, printing, copying, distribution, or use of the
contents of this transmission is prohibited. If you have received this
electronic message transmission in error, please notify us immediately by
reply e-mail and delete the original message.  Thank you.

We do not accept service of any kind by e-mail unless expressly authorized
in writing by the attorney of record.  This e-mail is NOT a contract and is
not binding upon the author pursuant to CR 2A. This e-mail is, at most, a
negotiation under ER 408.