[WSBAPT] handling expenses incurred by nominated PR who died before appointment

Chandra Lewnau chandra at lewnaulaw.com
Thu Jun 16 15:11:20 PDT 2022

I have a probate where it took quite a while to have a PR appointed because
the first two corporate nominees were slow to waive the right to serve.
Meanwhile, the #3 nominee, who was also Decedent's agent and trustee of a
trust he set up, went ahead and paid for his funeral expenses and some
legal fees in trying to get nominated PR 1 and 2 to waive. This person then
fell ill and died before being appointed. Her daughter agreed to serve as
PR and was appointed by the court. I have 2 questions:

Can I just treat the expenses of the #3 nominee/informal PR who was never
formally appointed the same as any other expenses of administration? That
is, can the actual PR just pay them from estate funds?

No probate was opened for the informal PR. The daughter/PR is both her only
heir and the successor trustee of her living trust. Can daughter just pay
herself, or do I need to do something more to establish that she is paying
the proceeds to the person entitled to them?
Thanks in advance.

*Chandra M. Lewnau*  *|*  Attorney

WALL GROUP LAW

51 W. Dayton St., Suite 305  *|*  Edmonds, WA 98020

*Tel* 425.670.1560  *|*  *Fax* 425.361.1512  *|* http://www.wallgrouplaw.com

THIS ACCOUNT IS FOR MAILING LIST PURPOSES ONLY.

For faster response email chandra at wallgrouplaw.com