[WSBAPT] Advice re uncooperative heir

Suzanne Lieberman suzanne at cmslawfirm.com
Thu Jul 21 05:55:41 PDT 2022

Hello,

We have a client (sister of decedent), PR of intestate estate, whose only
heir was missing at the beginning of probate, found 2 months in. He has
been in and out of jail/on and off the streets, etc and agreed to accept a
cell phone from my client (spent one night with her) - and now wants
nothing to do with his inheritance or his aunts/remaining family.  He is
inheriting about $900k.

Client wants to attempt to do an assignment of interest and receipt/waiver
for him per his original wishes but he is in and out of Uplift (homeless
assistance in Seattle) and at the moment the staff there with the most
contact says he won't sign anything - but he still doesn't want his money.
Anyone know what should be done at this point to break this stalemate? Does
the PR just need to keep trying to get him to either take the money or
assign his interest however long that takes or can the court get involved?

Sincerely,

Suzanne Lieberman
CMS Law Firm LLC <http://cmslawfirm.com/>
*811 Kirkland Ave. Suite 201 *(please note new address!)
Kirkland, WA 98033
206-383-6484 (Cell Phone)
206-659-1512 (Main Office)

Legal stuff I have to put in... *To ensure compliance with Treasury
Department and IRS regulations, we inform you that, unless expressly
indicated otherwise, any federal tax advice contained in this communication
(including any attachments) is not intended or written by CMS Law Firm LLC
to be used, and cannot be used by the taxpayer, for the purpose of: (i)
avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal
Revenue Code; or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another
party any transaction or matter addressed herein (or any attachments).*