[WSBAPT] POA Terms

Nick Pleasants npleasants at ohswlaw.com
Wed Jul 13 11:14:10 PDT 2022

If the POA fails and the principal lacks capacity to update it or sell the real estate herself, then you are looking at a conservatorship (formerly Guardianship of the Estate). Under the old statute, RCW 11.92.110 had a cross-reference to Ch. 11.56 RCW (intervention probate sale of real estate), which is a painfully difficult procedure. The new UGA doesn’t have an explicit reference to 11.56, so I’m not sure if that would still apply, but the conservatorship itself is painful enough that I would try to avoid it.
You might consider bringing a TEDRA Petition for Instructions under RCW 11.125.160(2) and ask the court to approve of the ability to sell using a realtor, or reforming the power of attorney to include selling of real estate. That would be cheaper than a conservatorship.
You might also just go straight to a title company and ask if they can insure a sale with that power of attorney. Pick a title company in the county where the property is located and ask their title/underwriting department to take a look at the power of attorney. Those are some of the most productive calls I have for clients, and a great way to build a lasting relationship.
Best,
Nick
Nicholas Pleasants | Shareholder

[OseranHahnAttyatLaw 8]

11225 SE 6th Street | Suite 100 | Bellevue, WA 98004