[WSBAPT] Statute/Rule source for exemplified copies

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Thu Jul 7 15:48:35 PDT 2022

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

July 7, 2022

Eric,

In my experience, a plain copy is just that.  A plain copy with
nothing on it from anyone saying that the copy is a true and accurate
copy of the original.

A certified copy bears a stamp by the Clerk of the Court, signed by
the Clerk of the Court, saying that they reviewed the copy they are
giving you, that it is a true and accurate copy of what is in the
court file.

I’m sure I’ve never been asked an “exemplified” copy of anything.

However, I have had to secure an “Apostilled” copy of an /ALREADY
CERTIFIED COPY OF A/ court order. The “apostilled” copies are required
by foreign courts. It swears to the authenticity of the judge’s
signature and swears to his position (as judge) and appropriateness to
act.

In my case, the Clerk of the U.S. court executed a certificate ( or
separate half sheet of paper.) The certificate swearing to the above
(signature authenticity & appropriateness to act.)

When I secured an apostilled order, the clerk took a little box out
from her drawer.  It had a card for every judge in the court house.
The card was dated, identified the judge, address of court, etc. and
bore the judge’s original signature. This signature card must have an
expiration date because in our case, the judge’s card had just
expired.  We had to wait while the clerk’s office tracked down the
judge and renewed his card. The clerk compared the handwriting on his
card to the handwriting on the order that required being
“apostilled.”  The certificate of apostille was then stapled to the
already certified copy of court order.

I suspect an exemplified copy is roughly equivalent to an apostilled
document and perhaps been used in similar circumstances.

 andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101
206-224-8288
www.seattle-silvalaw.com

Quoting Eric Nelsen <eric at sayrelawoffices.com>:

> From page 22 of  this King County Court PDF thingie[1]:
>

>    WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN EXEMPLIFIED, CERTIFIED AND PLAIN COPIES?
>

>    Exemplified copies – Clerk statement, Presiding Judge statement
> and raised seals attesting to the authenticity in accordance with
> Certificate of Exemplification U.S. Code (1776) Title 28; Section
> 738 RCW 2.32.050 & RCW 5.44.010).
>

>    Certified copies – Documents from the official court record
> stamped with a statement of authenticity and the King County
> Superior Court seal, signed and dated by a deputy clerk or clerk of
> King County Superior Court.
>

>    Plain copies – a standard copy of the document without any clerk
> seals, signatures or statements to its authenticity
>

>     Sincerely,
>

>     Eric
>

>     Eric C. Nelsen
>

>     Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
>

>     1417 31st Ave South
>

>     Seattle WA 98144-3909
>

>     206-625-0092
>

>     eric at sayrelawoffices.com
>

>     COVID-19 UPDATE - All attorneys are working remotely during
> regular business hours and are available via email and by phone.
> Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning
> documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case
> basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.
>

>      FROM: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com
> <wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com> ON BEHALF OF Marcus J. Fry
> SENT: Thursday, July 7, 2022 1:01 PM
> TO: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>
> SUBJECT: [WSBAPT] Statute/Rule source for exemplified copies
>

>    Does anyone have a statute or rule that you can direct me to that
> shows the requirements in Washington for an exemplified copy?  I
> tried performing a search and had no luck.  Out of state court clerk
> is requiring source of validity of process because apparently out of
> state court uses 3 seals and our Washington court clerks use only 2.
>

>    -Marcus
>

> MARCUS J. FRY
> Attorney | Witherspoon • Kelley
> mjf at witherspoonkelley.com |  Attorney Profile[2] | vCard[3]

>        222 N. 3rd Street
> Yakima, WA 98901
> (509) 248-7220 (office)
> (509) 575-1883 (fax)
> witherspoonkelley.com
>

> /Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this email and
> any accompanying attachment(s) is intended only for the use of the
> intended recipient and may be confidential and/or privileged. If any
> reader of this communication is not the intended recipient,
> unauthorized use, disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited, and
> may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error,
> please immediately notify the sender by return email, and delete the
> original message and all copies from your system. Thank you./

Links:
------
[1]
https://kingcounty.gov/~/media/courts/Clerk/ecr-library/how-does-ecr-work/communication/public/ecrappdja.ashx?la=en