[WSBAPT] IRA question

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Jan 19 11:06:57 PST 2022

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my current understanding is that anything paid to "the Estate" can't be rolled over in any fashion that defers tax. So if they are giving the spouse the option to take half directly, that half would be eligible to hold in an inherited IRA, but not the half going to the Estate.

Some years ago-five? ten?-there was a flurry of argument that there was a way to transfer IRAs that were payable to "the Estate," a way that some but not all IRA custodians would agree to do, that would allow receiving an interest as an inherited IRA and continue to defer tax. I don't know if it truly worked even back then, and I'm even less sure since the IRA inheritance rules changed in the last few years and might have had an impact on that old possible method.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.