[WSBAPT] IRA question

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Wed Jan 19 10:38:32 PST 2022

I will leave the community property question to others to answer, but I suggest you start by asking for a copy of the default clause under the custodial agreement to make sure who the default beneficiary is.  Also keep in mind that the account will not necessarily pay out to the estate.  The custodian might allow the entire account to be assigned by the estate to an inherited IRA without making any withdrawals.  If you do have the estate take a withdrawal, be careful to make sure that the IRD (income in respect of a decedent) passes out to the spouse in the same tax year, in order to avoid the high fiduciary income tax rates of the estate.  $20K is not a large sum, but as long as you have the opportunity to do it right, you might as well do it.
Phil Jones

Philip N. Jones
Duffy Kekel LLP
900 S.W. Fifth Ave. Suite 2500