[WSBAPT] Distribution to Beneficiaries who are participating

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Feb 22 09:47:20 PST 2022

A while back someone posted the attached unpublished opinion, In re Greider Family Trust (Wash. App. Div. 1, March 15, 2021). It has some good language suggesting that Trustees are reviewed on an abuse of discretion standard if the Trustee elects to apportion expenses unequally among beneficiaries. However, the opinion appears to rely on express language in the trust about the scope of the Trustee’s discretion, so I am unsure how solid this is as precedent for a different trust. I haven’t had to rely on it yet myself

That said, I think this is an equitable outcome that the court can authorize. I have a couple cases now where I am likely to ask the court for permission to distribute for almost everybody, and then impose all remaining administrative costs of the beneficiaries who aren’t cooperating. I might cite Greider, but I think it’s also a basic equitable principle and within the court’s authority. The cooperative beneficiaries should not be penalized by the recalcitrance of the others.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.