[WSBAPT] Problems with BOA, Trustee

Dewey Weddle DWWeddle at msn.com
Tue Feb 8 14:53:38 PST 2022

Oh wise ones,

I would very much appreciate any input regarding the following fact pattern.  My client is the administrator of an estate that is a beneficiary of a Trust, and Bank of America is the Trustee.  My client has been waiting patiently for the final distribution from the Trust so that she can make final distributions to the beneficiaries of the estate, many of whom are elderly, and some of whom have died while awaiting the final distribution. By way of background, after making one substantial distribution about two years ago, BOA wanted to hold back about $100,000 to cover any administrative costs or taxes that may have been due.  Although I have sent letters, emails, and made phone calls to the attorney for BOA inquiring about the status of the final distribution, I get nothing in response.  It is my understanding that during all this time BOA should have been providing reports to qualified beneficiaries to keep them informed so that they can protect their interests. No reports. In my view, there is no reason for BOA to behave this way.  So, what to do.

My initial thought is to file a TEDRA action asking for an accounting of the Trust and immediate distribution of the amount that is being held back.  The estate is being probated in Skagit County, and the firm representing BOA is in eastern Washington.  I think I can file my action here in Skagit, but I am not 100% sure.

Does anybody have any ideas as to whether I am on the right track, or whether there are other ways to get BOA to make the final distribution?  I always prefer to settle things without going to Court, but when all I get is radio silence from BOA, I really do not think I have much choice here.

Kind regards to all,

Dewey ​​

Law Office of Dewey W. Weddle, PLLC

909 7th Street